Saturday, January 21, 2012

Arlington Stake Nativity Festival

This last December our Stake (a group of LDS congregations) organized and put on our
First Annual Nativity Festival.

We had a committee of about 20 people working on the plans throughout the year, everything from the advertising and the electrical, to the set-up and the structures. I (Sheri) was invited onto the committee late in the game, after some of the others had to drop out for one reason or another.

I was part of the decorating committee, we were in charge of everything in the entryways, hallways, cultural hall, and cookie room. We divided up the duties and I worked with 2 other ladies on the cultural hall.

Wow- what an overwhelming and awesome task! We ended up with 46 tables, 60 cinderblocks, 40 bricks (THANK YOU Dad and Joel for all the heavy lifting!), 30 christmas trees, 160 huge poinsettias, 48 small poinsettias, over 200 battery operated tea lights, votives, and pillar candles, and over 500 nativities on display. We all put in 10 hour days, Monday through Wednesday and half a day on Thursday, along with countless other drop-in helpers, getting ready to open the doors to the public starting at 6pm on Thursday. It ran until 7pm on Sunday and them we spent 13 hours on Monday breaking it all down.



One of the Entry Foyers were people were greeted and offered a map to the building.


The Cultural Hall full of beautiful nativities, trees, and poinsettias.
Our members displayed nativities they had collected from all over the world.
It was more subtly lit than my pictures show- my camera enhanced every bit of light it could find.
The whole room had such a beautiful feeling about it.
We had the curtains open to the chapel and someone playing the piano or an instrument during all the visiting hours to add to the feeling of celebrating the birth of Christ.


At one end of the Cultural Hall we also had a live (still) nativity display. Families could sign up to stand in for 30 minutes at a time. With the beautiful backdrop that one of our local families painted and the bright star, this became a real focal point.




Down the hall we had a room dedicated to "The Life of Christ"




They did an amazing job!


Another popular spot was our "Cookie Room"

I failed to get any pictures of it, but we also had a "Children's Room" full of nativities the children were allowed to touch and play with as well as a craft the children could do. In the corner of that room kids and whole families could dress up in costume and have a family picture taken in a stable. My kids wanted to bee-line it to that room every time.


This turned out to be one overwhelming and exhausting week, but more rewarding than I could have imagined. What a privilege to be a part of it. I couldn't think of a better way to start the Christmas season!

We've already had our first meeting talking about next year! Hope you can all come see it!!

4 comments:

Meledie Knopf said...

You did such an awesome job on the Stake Center. I had goosebumps when I was doing my small part, but when I saw the end product, I could hardly believe the detail! The couple that sang during the program on Sunday are personal friends of mine (he's my hairdresser) and they were stunned at the beauty and detail. They said they had looked into doing something similar at the Snohomish Stake Center, but they didn't have anything in mind like what we ended up with! The poisettias were such a blessing in that they kept people away from the Nativities...great idea!!! And when I saw MY Nativity set at the opening of your blog, I was both humbled and tickled! I have pictures of the Children's Room because I was in there as well as out taking the live Nativity. If you would like them to post, please call me. I'd be tickled to share all the pictures that I took during that wekk. I even have some pictures of the walls and then layouts beneath them. Anyway, let me know. From my point of view, this Nativities Festival will be one tough to top! Well don!!!

Sidney said...

Thanks so much for sharing Sheri!! all of the pictures brought very strong emotions to my heart. It was absolutely stunning! I CANNOT fathom the amount of work this was. But so very worth it. Wish we could come see the one next year!!

Bump and Erin said...

Beautiful!!!! That looks just amazing!!! What a neat thing to do!

desertortoise said...

Amazing job! Wish I could have seen it!