Monday, July 20, 2009

Mt. Pilchuck

Joel and I decided that we wanted to do a lot more hiking this summer to enjoy this beautiful country and to get into a little better shape after I had Ellie. As you know we have gotten out some, but then the entire family came down with a nasty cold (3 plus weeks now and we still aren't symptom free!). Well we decided that we were ready to get back out there and hit the trail again. We hadn't chosen a trail yet when my friend Rachel ask us to join her on a hike to Mt. Pilchuck. I would have normally waited until we had a few more hikes under our belt and were a little more in shape, but we bit the bullet and went for it.

Because it was going to be in the 80's that day we met at 6am for an early start. What a trouper!
The trail starts out in the trees and for about an mile and then moves above the tree line for the last 2 miles. I should mention that the hike is 3 miles long and 2,300 foot elevation gain and ends at the very top of the mountain at an old Forest Service fire lookout.
I avoid the early morning light like the plague, but I have to admit that it can be quite beautiful.



By this point I'm already noticing how out of shape I'm feeling, but I'm still game for the adventure...
2/3 of the hike is very rocky and all of it is UP! Did I mention how out of shape I'm feeling?!
But the views! This is Mt. Rainier in the distance.
Mt. Baker.

Rachel, Ellie and I. I'm not sure how Rachel is still smiling- my smile is too tired to make an appearance and the biting flies are out in force. Maybe I should be thankful for them though, because they single handedly motivated me to keep going- if I stopped for even a moment they swarmed and started feasting.

Well, I wimped out and called a halt about 3/4 of a mile from the top, but the view was spectacular. I took this panoramic video from our turn around point- sorry to say that I was so worn out I had trouble holding the camera steady, so enjoy the shaky view.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Beautiful pictures! I love being able to enjoy them from my comfy, air conditioned home...all the enjoyment and none of the hard work. :) Thanks!

Laurence and Sidney said...

I think I'm out of breath just looking!! My hat is off to you! thanks for sharing!!

Tina said...

Great blog! looks good! you take some awesome Pictures! I want to see you little girl! She is a doll- I love the one where she looks like a little mermaid! Supper cute!