Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lake Palmer


Every year for the past 10 years or so my parents and all my siblings have gotten together for a week every summer to vacation and play together.  We've stayed at some very hot and dusty places in our tents and sleeping bags, but for the past 4 years we have been given the wonderful chance to use a couple of lake houses up at Lake Palmer in north central Washington.

This year for the first time we got together without our parents who are off playing in Nauvoo, serving a mission there.  And quite proud of them I am too!

Anyone who has ever driven through the state can testify that there is a vast difference between Western and Eastern Washington.  After crossing the Cascades we found beauty in the rolling hills and sparse farmlands.
Its a 5 (or 6 with babies and little ones) hour drive over there from Arlington and we didn't get out of the driveway until about 4:30 in the afternoon, but we were just glad to finally be on our way!  Both Andrew and Sheridan were able to come with us again this year.
By late (and I mean REALLY late) Saturday night everyone but Dode's family had arrived and Sunday morning all 20 plus of us descended upon the branch that meets about 20 miles away.  For any of you that have ever attended a branch and know what a shock 20 extras can be, don't worry, we had the foresight to contact them ahead and warn them we were coming :)

The kids, and a few of the adults, were antsy to hit the water, but patiently waited for Monday morning to come.
The big house (there are 2 on the property) has a big, big, BIG beautiful deck that is perfect for the little kids to play on throughout the day.  Seth thought it was great that cousin Savannah brought her big wheel to share.
Fishing on (and off ) the dock was a favorite activity for all ages!
During the week we celebrated 2 birthdays.  Bryce turned 19 on the 28th and Lainey turned 10 on the 1st.  The girls planned a great little slumber party to help Lainey celebrate hers.
Not everything we did during the week was work or play- sometimes we just did nothing at all.
(Ellie getting to know one of her uncles)
This was also a great week for all of the cousins getting to reconnect.  Even the two youngest- Randy's 8 month old Darci and 8 week old Ellie got together.
a bit of the local wildlife :P
There was always lots to do and someone to do it with.
There was a "little kids" pool...
and a "big kids" pool.
After a little flag ceremony on the morning of the 4th of July it was time for family pictures.  Sheridan declined joining us for our pictures because she doesn't "do pictures" right now (I'll never understand teenagers- it doesn't seen to help at all that I once was one)
Randy's family
Brent's family
Dode's family (all that were awake)

I noticed when I got home that I didn't have any pictures of Janice and Matt, then I remembered that Matt was the one taking pictures with my camera for me.  Oops!
Then the time finally came to pack up and get ready to head for home.  Seth was kind enough to help me do our packing.

Palmer was a lot of fun as always, but my gang still all had yucky colds (something that I'm sure I will hear thanks for when others go home and come down with it too) and I found that I didn't really get out as much as usual.  In fact I myself only got into the lake one time for about 20 minutes.  Because of that I also found that I didn't get as many pictures of the area and everyone playing like I had intended.  Oh well, next year!

6 comments:

Tera said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun! I think it's a great tradition. Maybe one year we can came and join you. Happy 4th!

Helen Woodson said...

Thanks for sharing this, Sherilyn (hope I spelled that right). I read the whole thing and looked at all the pictures.

You guys seem very happy, and I'm so very glad.

Love to my newest sister-in-law,

Mary Helen

Tracy Collings said...

Looks like such a fun tradition. Nice and relaxing.

Bump and Erin said...

It's so beautiful! Looks like everyone had a really great time!! Thanks for sharing all the pictures!

Thesherriff said...

Oh Man, we miss that place. You guys are so fun. We are definitely joining you next year, if we're still invited. I'm so jealous we missed out. That reminds me that I've been meaning to find me a "Wise or Otherwise" game.

Anonymous said...

Ooops, didn't realize Dallin was signed in, that message is from Tricia.