Saturday, November 21, 2009

Louisiana Swamps

After we left New Orleans we headed west further into Cajun Country. We stopped at a state park in Lake Charles near the Louisiana-Texas border. We were delighted to pull in and realize that there was a swamp running right through the campground.


We didn't spot any alligators, darn the luck, but there were plenty of turtles out sunning themselves.


This is a row of Cyprus Knees. They are part of the tree's root system; I don't entirely understand their purpose, but it has something to do with having some of their root above the water since Cyprus trees grow most often in the swampy areas.


I found the trees, often draped in moss, and the still waters of the swamps to be beautiful in a mysterious, haunting kind of way.


I think these must be where the expression "odd duck" came from. They have beautiful green iridescent feathers and the homeliest faces I have ever seen. And their swimming form and sounds they make, leave a lot to be desired!


I can't tell you how often, right along side the spanish moss, we would see a fishing bobber hanging all sad in the trees. A few of these trees looked like they were being decorated for an early Christmas :P


The campground wasn't all swamp, they were kind enough to provide swings for our favorite Mother-Son activity!


This tree next to the swings looked like it had been moonlighting as the local bulletin board.


The best part about traveling the country in our 5th wheel is that no matter how far we go or what state we're in, we are only a few steps from home.


6 comments:

janice said...

love the turtles lined up on the log! did you add your initials to the tree?

Tera said...

Amazing pictures. I've never been to a swamp. I may have to put it on my to do list. :)

Unknown said...

I need to travel more. Wow, that is amazing.

Bump and Erin said...

It looks like you are having so much fun! What a great trip!

Tracy Collings said...

Those "freaks of nature" are so funny! Looks like a lot of fun!

We're All Wright said...

I loved the pictures. I need to visit a swamp I guess...